Friday, September 14, 2012

Lotus House Blossoms with YES Institute

YES Institute speakers and staff with Lotus House team.

Lotus House women’s shelter in Liberty City invited YES Institute to open a series of Community Dialogues with guests and staff about the topics of gender and orientation and their relationship to suicide prevention and healthy development. Many participants shared personal insights after the conversations:

“This dialogue gave me a better understanding of the gay and transgender community, of how they feel and what they go through in life, and the consequences of society’s actions and behaviors.”

“It didn’t hurt to speak up and share sensitive topics in my life, because today I realized that everybody has them.”


“There are so many labels, and I am going to try to not label myself anymore.”

“I now understand that cultural sensitivity requires time and more dialogue.”

Lotus House operates a stylish thrift store in Midtown, and is producing the acclaimed Art Live Festival in Wynwood coming up in October. Proceeds from the store and festival fund programming at the non-profit women’s shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment