Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pioneering Physicians Engage with Gender Transitioning in Healthcare Community

by Joseph Zolobczuk

I was a little apprehensive (and very excited) to present to the Pediatric Endocrinology department at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital (JDCH) in Hollywood, Florida this July. YES Institute was asked to conduct a talk for healthcare personnel on "Patient Care of Gender Transitioning Adolescents." I never thought in a million years I would have something to present to medical doctors that would be new and novel. I was acculturated to relate to physicians as these really smart folks who have the most scholastic education and expertise. This is the most fascinating thing for me with gender today (or rather what we are calling "gender") - that bodies and expression conceived as a binary, instead of our authentic experience of gender as a continuum, is a revelatory conversation, regardless of how much education or schooling one might have.

History has shown we tend to resist and wrestle with paradigm shifts before new views of looking at the world are embraced as common sense. YES Institute explores this notion of gender as a continuum, in both the biological as well as personal and cultural contexts, in our Gender Continuum and Deciphering the Matrix of Orientation interactive courses.

Me (left) with our amazing guest speakers.

When I returned to the office, I was pleasantly surprised and warmed by the comments left by participants. A physician wrote, "I gained a greater insight into the personal struggles and journey that people who are transitioning have to go through. I see things differently now." Another colleague reported, "I thought it was excellent, it really created an opportunity for me to look at the topic in a more in depth way. My heart was touched."
The effusive evaluation comments clearly came in part from our very amazing speakers Evan B. and Sabrine J., who brought all the gender theory home to the personal and real-life level. Their powerful sharing about the choices they've had to navigate – both with and without the medical community – stunned the participants and deeply moved all of us. I also want to give a shout out to Tori G., for her relentless commitment and love as a mother, and who initially introduced YES Institute to the pioneering doctors at JDCH. 
Our amazing speakers Sabrine and Evan!

1 comment:

  1. Woo, Tori G.! She's one of my faves. Keep on keepin' on, everyone... without you, who knows where we're headed?!

    ReplyDelete